Before you choose to hire me, we will meet to become acquainted, discuss your priorities and fears and concerns, and plan how we might best work together.
If then you choose to hire me, we will meet at least once more. At this meeting(s) we will:
- construct your birth plan, which will contain your preferences on pain management
- learn more about how you cope with stress, pain and fatigue in your daily life
- discuss how you and your partner foresee working together during labor and birth
- discuss childbirth education; although I strongly recommend participating in a childbirth education course with other couples
- I will also inform you of times that I may be unavailable for labor support, and to cover these times I will arrange for one or more back-up doulas that you may also meet; you may also arrange your own back-up
After this meeting we can certainly meet again and I will be available by telephone or email. I will be on call for your labor when you are at 38 weeks gestation. If there are other circumstances which suggest an early arrival, we will make other arrangements. When you are in labor, I prefer that you call me when you think you are in labor, and we will decide when I should come to you. For more about what I will do during labor, please visit the doula page. I will remain with you throughout your labor and birth, until an hour or two after birth, when you are comfortable and your family is ready for quiet time together. I can assist with intital breastfeeding after the birth. At your request I will take photos with your camera; bear in mind I may be married to a professional photographer, but professional photography has not come to me by osmosis; I am an amateur at best. After you return home I will available by phone or email to answer questions, and we will arrange for a visit one to two weeks after the birth to see how you are doing, admire your baby and to get your feedback about our work together.
As your doula, I will not:
- perform clinical tasks, such as monitoring blood pressure, fetal heart rate or perform a vaginal exam. I will be there solely for physical comfort, emotional support and advocacy
- make decisions for you. I will help you get the information you need in order to make an informed decision, and remind you if you depart from your birth plan.
- speak to the staff instead of you regarding matters where decisions are being made. I will discuss concerns with you and suggest options, but you and your partner will speak on your behalf with the clinical staff.
I ask $500 to serve as your doula. If you have special needs or concerns, please contact me.