An episiotomy is a surgical incision that is sometimes necessary to enlarge the vaginal opening to help deliver your baby.
1. Hire a care provider who doesn’t do them.
2. Use a doula.
3. Give birth upright or in water.
4. Push with the contraction and breath the baby down and out (see your doula for coaching on this).
5. Apply warm compresses to the perineum during second stage of labor and massage with oil.
6. Definitely avoid having an epidural.
(Taken from Gentle Birth Choices, Harper, Barbara, R.N.)