I would not put it past myself to tell every pregnant woman I meet these things, as it’s the doula heart within me, but am also attune to social boundaries, and telling a nearly perfect stranger these things may be considered overstepping. So I write it here instead.
1) You are beautiful.
2) It’s overstated by some, but take care of yourself. You will not regret it. Stay active and eat balanced meals.
3) Seek the company of people that support you.
4) Be an educated consumer when it comes to your care provider. Determine their style of care by asking questions about their percentages of intervention. If you’re ok with having the 1 in 3 chance of x intervention (fill in the blank), then you’re fine. If you’re not, hire a new care provider. I know it’s hard, but you will move past the sentimentality when you know that you’ve made the best decisions you can.
5) 10 months may seem like a long time to nourish a being inside you, but it will fly by. Treasure your quiet moments and give yourself space.
6) Trust your intuition. Learn to trust yourself now, and you will be well-practiced when it comes to caring for your new little one. No one has your mother’s instinct.